Brief of Xiangji temple
Located along Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal, Xiangji Temple is dated back to over 1,000 years ago. Originally built in Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127), the temple was then known as Xingfu Temple (兴福寺). Later Zhenzong of Song (宋真宗), the third emperor of Song Dynasty, renamed it Xiangji Temple. In late Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368), Xiangji Temple was destroyed in a fire and since then, it has been reconstructed for many times. Back then, it was the most famous temple in Gongshu District (拱墅区) of Hangzhou and played an important role in the communication of Buddhism. As the distribution center of pilgrims to Lingyin Temple and Tianzhu Temple, Xiangji Temple also contributed greatly to the prosperity of business in Hushu Region (湖墅).
There were twin pagodas in former Xiangji Temple, which were constructed in the 52nd year of Qing Dynasty (1713). In 1963, the twin pagodas were listed as cultural relic under municipal protection by Hangzhou Municipal People’s Government. In 1986, the east pagoda was destroyed. The existing pagoda is octahedral and has nine stories. The pedestal was chiseled with white stone in pseudo-timber structured pavilion shape. The bracket imitates Song-style. A tablet with inscription of “Compassionate Cloud” is hung on the east facade of the third story. The south door is half-opened and a door on the fifth story is opened. A sacred Buddha is going out from the door. The structure, technique, relief style are typical of Qing Dynasty. In 1997, it was listed as cultural relic under Zhejiang Provincial protection.