Brief of Si Cheng Church
Si Cheng Church is the oldest Protestant church in Hangzhou with a history of 76 years. It’s named “Si Cheng” to commemorate the first clergyman “Zhang Chengzhai (张澄斋)”. “Si Cheng” in Chinese means “cherish the memory of Cheng.” The church itself is a perfect example of the combination of Western style and Chinese style construction skills.
Si Cheng Church can be traced back to 1858 during the Qing Dyasty when American Presbyterian missionaries including Zhang Chengzhai came to Hangzhou to convert locals. In 1868, local Protestants rented a house in Pishi Lane (皮市巷) as a church and made Zhang Chengzhai their first minister. However, as the congregation grew, the house was too small. Zhang Baoqing (张宝庆), the son of Zhang Chengzhai donated money to build a new church and, helped by other donations from home and abroad, Si Cheng Church was eventually completed after the death of Zhang Chengzhai.