Brief of Su Causeway
Su Causeway was built during the Northern Song Dynasty (960–1127 AD) and named as "Su Causeway" to commemorate Su Dongpo (a great poet in ancient China)'s achievements in controlling West Lake.
Su Causeway was built of the dredged silt of West Lake when Su Dongpo organized a large-scale dredging of the lake during his second term (1089-1091) as the governor of Hangzhou. About 200,000 local people took part in the project. Six single-arch stone bridges were constructed to grace the causeway spanning the lake from north to south. Hence it’s also known as “Six-Bridge Causeway”. With its special attraction, the causeway and its bridges became the prototype for landscaping in many other parts of China.
Since the Southern Song Dynasty (1127–1279 AD), it has become known for its “Spring Dawn at Su Causeway” (苏堤春晓), which ranks first among the “Ten Scenes of West Lake”. Since the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368 AD), it has been known for its another special scene called “Six Bridges in Misty Willows” (六桥烟柳), one of the “Ten Scenes of Qiantang (Qiantang is another name for Hangzhou)”. With the decoration of numerous trees, beautiful pavilions and colorful flower-beds, the causeway now is an attractive walkway in the daytime and a lovers’ lane in the evening. But it is a safe lane without any chance for holdup men.