Brief of Zhejiang Provincial Museum
Located at the southern foot of Solitary Hill and the northern bank of West Lake, Zhejiang Provincial Museum houses over 100,000 items in its permanent collection. Among these world-famous treasures, Jade and silk artifacts from Liangzhu Culture, bronze wares from Yue Kingdom, celadon wares from Yue, Kiln, potteries, lacquerwares as well as wood, bone and ivory artifacts from Hemudu Culture are both eye-dazzling and impressive. Endowed with a serene lake in front, and a green hill at the back, this lakeside museum has become the new cultural center in Hangzhou.
Established in 1929, Zhejiang Provincial Museum was known as the West Lake Museum initially. It was the first provincial museum on the former site of the vacation palace of the Qing emperors. Famous sights at a stone’s throw away including “Lingering Snow on the Broken Bridge”, “Autumn Moon over the Calm Lake”, and Yue Fei’s Temple and Tomb, might beckon for those have spare energy.
Wen Lan Ge(Wenlan Pavilion), an integral part of Zhejiang Provincial Museum, was one of the Top Seven Imperial Libraries during the Qing Dynasty. It was built to house the Si Ku Quan Shu (literally translated – Complete Library of Four Treasures), and is the only one left in Jiangnan (area south of Yangtze River).
The year 1993 witnessed Zhejiang Provincial Museum undergo a large-scale reconstruction and expansion, during which it grew into a sprawling complex spanning 2.04 hectares, with exhibition halls such as Cultural Relics Hall, Celadon Hall, Calligraphy and Painting Hall, Coin Hall, Handcraft Hall, Gift and Souvenir Hall, Lv Xiaguang’s Memorial Hall, Chang Shuhong’s Exhibition Hall, Ming and Qing Dynasty-Era Furniture Hall being added up with meteoric speed.
Majestic and classic, these exhibition halls are extraordinary buildings with Jiangnan-style features. With corridors connecting pavilions and towers, all the halls are designed to conform to the principle of “Halls among the gardens, and gardens among the halls.”